Is anal only considered a "fetish"?

General discussion of the anal only lifestyle. If it doesn't fit elsewhere or isn't a personal comment or question, it probably goes here.
singleinDC

Is anal only considered a "fetish"?

Post by singleinDC » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:33 am

Is it something that falls under the category of fetish, or is it really just best categorized as a lifestyle? Lifestyle seems like a pretty extreme title for it given that it's only a particular manner of sex...

zarafan

Re: Is anal only considered a "fetish"?

Post by zarafan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:38 pm

I'm reminded of what a linguist once said when asked the difference between a dialect and a language: a language is a dialect with its own navy!

The difference between "fetish" and "lifestyle" is ultimately semantic, not substantive; although I don't identify with the label "anal only" in my sexual preferences, I understand that referring to it as a "lifestyle" enhances the dignity of the choice--since, after all, "fetish" is something secretive and shameful (abnormal) whereas "lifestyle" legitimates what's being referred to. There was once a time when homosexuality, after all, was considered not just a "fetish," but a perversion; I hope and trust that no one on this list subscribes to that view point?!

I support the "lifestyle" terminology because I agree with many/most participants in this list that anal sex suffers from the stigma of being dirty, humiliating, and unnatural. I believe it to be none of these things and I believe if people stop accepting these pejorative labels, anal sex will be easier to pursue, participate in, and enjoy.

If calling it a "lifestyle" contributes to that effort, count me in!!!