Best Lubes for Anal Sex

Curious about the anal only lifestyle or anal sex in general but have questions or concerns? Ask away here.
mardobolo

Best Lubes for Anal Sex

Post by mardobolo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:36 pm

My wife and I have been using a water-based lube, which starts out great but then dries out fairly quickly. Reading online, many people stay away from oil-based and silicone-based lubricants for anal because they can weaken a latex condom. Irrelevant to us as we never use condoms.

Those of you going condom-less, what lube do you use and how do you like it?

There seems to be a lot of interest these days in coconut oil and shea butter as all-natural lubes. We have these on order and I'll report back after testing. :D

analsexonly
Site Admin

Re: Best lubes for anal

Post by analsexonly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Anal Lube Guide

Sexual lubricant is one of those things that's very much a personal choice, with many different options that can work for most people, and yet with a range of different properties and advantages & disadvantages. This guide will cover some of the more popular options, but there may be others as well.

Water-based Anal Lube

This is usually the easiest and cheapest to find and there are a variety of different formulations to try from different brands. Even if one type of water-based lube doesn't work for you, you might find another which will. Some are thick and gel-like, some are thin and runny, some are more sticky. Water-based lubes are safe to use with all sex toys and condoms. In recent years there have been some concerns with the presence of parabens and glycerin in some water-based lubes. If this is an issue for you, it is now possible to find paraben- and glycerin-free lube.

Oil-based Anal Lube

Long-lasting and sometimes of a thicker consistency, oil-based lubes can be popular because they don't need to be reapplied as frequently if at all. Coconut oil is probably one of the most popular lubes recommended in recent years, in part due to the fact that it's natural, and because it is solid at room temperature and so is easy to store and carry around—plus it smells great! Cocoa and shea butter are also popular options to try. Oil-based lubes will degrade latex and rubber, potentially including certain sex toys, so be cautious and do not use it in conjunction with a condom.

Silicone Anal Lube

A favorite of many, silicone lube is also very long lasting and is safe to use with condoms. Because it can be very thin but doesn't evaporate, a small amount can be used for a long time and with less of a mess. However, silicone lube will damage silicone sex toys and should never be used with them.

LuvMyWifesAss

Post by LuvMyWifesAss » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 pm

My wife and I have been using silicone based lubricant for many years now and love it. We use Wet Platinum. It doesn't dry up, rarely needs to be reapplied, and washes off easily with soap and water.

Prince Albert

Post by Prince Albert » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:57 am

Coconut oil for us. My lady prefers it when going ATM

mardobolo

Post by mardobolo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:08 pm

Prince Albert wrote:Coconut oil for us. My lady prefers it when going ATM

Nice! I saw one woman describe it as "the smell of coconut cookies". Sounds like a major plus.

GirthBum

Post by GirthBum » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:44 am

There is some really dangerous @ bad advice in this thread.

Oil (&coconut oil) — DO NOT USE WITH LATEX CONDOMS.

Silicone Lube — safe for condom use. In fact, lubricated condoms use a touch of silicon lube.

Silicon lube is ideal for anal sex. It doesn't wear out like oil and it doesn't dry out like water based lubes and become tacky. Just keeps on trucking until the sheets are soaked and it's time to sleep. You only need a small dab. Less is more. It's inert and won't irritate the rectum like water based lubes can.

Prince Albert

Post by Prince Albert » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:06 pm

GirthBum wrote:There is some really dangerous @ bad advice in this thread.

Oil (&coconut oil) — DO NOT USE WITH LATEX CONDOMS.

Silicone Lube — safe for condom use. In fact, lubricated condoms use a touch of silicon lube.

Silicon lube is ideal for anal sex. It doesn't wear out like oil and it doesn't dry out like water based lubes and become tacky. Just keeps on trucking until the sheets are soaked and it's time to sleep. You only need a small dab. Less is more. It's inert and won't irritate the rectum like water based lubes can.

It seems to me that everything that's been posted in this thread is factual in my experience of several years of anal sex.
The greatest thing about lubes is experimenting over and over again until you find what works for you. What works for one doesn't work for all.

Robert

Post by Robert » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:39 pm

I know it's boring but we still like KY. We like the wetness, almost like its a natural lube she's producing, which she finds kind of soothing. For me I like the sounds it makes as you pop in and out. You get more suction or a better seal than other types of lube, but I would guess that is a personal prefernce.

Advent

Post by Advent » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Our go-to is Astroglide Gel. It seems to stay on my dick pretty well and is good consistancy.

We've been experimenting with coconut oil lately, and there are definitely some advantages. It feels warmer, which is a bit odd since we store it next to the Astroglide. It also makes her cleanup easier since it absorbs into the skin nicely.

However, while my wife may like the feeling of her anus being moisturized, I'm not quite as big a fan on my member. Also, once I get it thawed and spread on it is much thinner and can drip. That's a problem if I can't catch the drops entirely before insertion. For instance, standing up is not good with the coconut oil because some invariably gets on the floor, but missionary is fine because we're both laying on a towel already.

We're slowly coming up with preferences based upon occasion/location/position. In the shower needs oil based, period. Our normal favorite position (her on her back on the bed propped up on pillows, me standing) gets Astroglide. A couple other positions depend upon mood. Our 'spontaneous away from the house' kit (lube, toilet paper, wet wipes and a baggie) is getting the coconut oil because of the easier cleanup.

The coconut oil also has a couple issues with smell. For one, the dog is certainly quite a lot more interested in what we've been up to. Second, we constantly make macaroon jokes mid-coitus.

mardobolo

Post by mardobolo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:18 am

Advent wrote:We've been experimenting with coconut oil lately, and there are definitely some advantages. It feels warmer, which is a bit odd since we store it next to the Astroglide. It also makes her cleanup easier since it absorbs into the skin nicely.

Thanks for sharing your experience! You make great points about drips and other practical factors. Things like that can make a lube great, or a pain in the ass (pun intended?).

My wife and I have been using Shea butter for a while. (The NOW Foods version that is 100% pure.) It's the oil of an African nut that, like coconut oil, is solid at room temperature but melts at body temperature. If anything Shea butter probably has a higher melting temperature than coconut oil. It has a crumbly consistency out of the jar but melts very quickly.

As a lube we've found Shea butter to be very similar to Vaseline. It doesn't dry out, but it gives more friction than say Astroglide. It absorbs a little bit into the skin, but not much. Obviously personal preference comes into play with regard to friction. On a whim I tried putting Astroglide on top of the Shea butter, but the result was bizarre and not useful.

I discovered that the friction of the lube is felt more by me than by my wife. She seems to be fine with anything so long as it's slippery. What do others find? Does the receiving partner feel much difference between different kinds of lube?